So you have decided to take the plunge and get ITIL® Foundation certified! Great.
As a robust IT service management framework, ITIL helps businesses improve their service processes. With an increased demand for ITIL professionals and high pay packets, it is definitely a valuable skill to have on your resume.
If you’re looking to take up the ITIL Foundation course, here are 6 things you need to consider before taking up this course.
- Focus on essentials
As you take up the ITIL course, you might find yourself overwhelmed with everything the course has to offer. It is, therefore, important to just focus on the key concepts of the framework and stick to your specialities.
Also, don’t just memorize facts, but try to understand the key concepts. It will not only help you crack the exam easily but also allows you to bring ITIL practices to your organization in a more effective way.
- Take a course from a reputed institute
There are a host of good online courses available you can choose from that will help you prepare thoroughly about everything you need to know before taking the ITIL® Foundation certification exam. Further, there are other modes of learning available including-
- Classroom training – This option is suitable for someone who is very new to service management and learns better as part of a team learning exercise.
- Online classes – Most suitable for people looking to put some structure into their preparation, with an instructor to set a proper learning roadmap.
- Online self-learning – Ideal for candidates who would like to quickly review concepts and then learn through practice on simulated exams.
- Check if the course provider is an Accredited Training Organization (ATO)
This is important as the ATOs are officially recognized by the ITIL certification provider (Axelos) and their examination institutes (e.g. Peoplecert). Further, an ATOs course content is regularly updated and evaluated by the examination institutes and is always in sync with the latest ITIL exam requirements.
- Schedule your exam early
Once you’re prepared, do not delay and schedule your ITIL exam while your knowledge is still fresh. This is significantly important as the information you receive in the courses is bundled into a very short amount of time with a quick pace requiring you to take the exam as soon as you finish preparing for it.
- Find out what language(s) is the course available in
Non-native English speakers might wish to take up the ITIL certification exam in their own native language. In such a case, you should immediately check out the language options available in the course. (The exam is available in 21 different languages)
- What to Prepare for ITIL Foundation Exam
If you are scheduling your ITIL Foundation Exam soon, you need to understand the complete ITIL framework including what all are covered under the ITIL framework for the latest version of the ITIL Foundation Exam.
Here is a quick overview of the ITIL Lifecycle and the things you need to prepare for the ITIL Foundation Exam.
- Service Strategy– It helps you assess and analyze how to strategically utilize the services in order to achieve your company’s business objectives and offer guidance on how to design, develop, and implement IT Service management.
- Service Design– Help you answer your questions and take a holistic approach taking into consideration
-Service Level Management
- Service Operation- It helps you to make sure that the processes set are giving value to the customers and offer guidance on the practical aspects of day-to-day business operations. The goal of this phase is to assist the IT department to keep things running smoothly, efficiently and in a cost-effective manner.
- Service Transition-The Service Transition phase teaches IT professionals about how to manage changes in a productive manner and how to efficiently transition new and changed services into operations without interrupting other processes.
- Continual Service Improvement- Continual service assessment is the key to understanding where there is scope for improvements. ITIL training can help learners identify where such scope or possibilities for progress are.
To wrap up:
The above mentioned 6 tips can be extremely helpful in navigating your ITIL 4 Foundation course successfully. It also provides you with a firm understanding of the complete ITIL 4 framework, terminologies and core concepts of the ITIL service lifecycle. By the foundation certification training, you will develop a thorough understanding of how the ITIL framework evolved to adopt different operational processes and modern technologies.